The Allen Fire Department was founded on February 18, 1953. The department was formed entirely of volunteers and required an initiation fee of two dollars to join. It operated under the motto "When Duty Calls 'Tis Ours to Obey."
Allen City Council approved the department's constitution and by-laws on July 11, 1963.
Fire Department Milestones
1982: Station 2 is built; Allen hires six paid, full-time firefighters to supplement its volunteers.
1998: Fire Station 4 is built on Alma Drive.
2000: The Allen Volunteer Fire Department disbands; AFD becomes an all-paid department.
2011: Station 5 opens; it is among the first stations in the U.S. to be LEED Platinum certified.
2016: Allen Fire Station 2 is rebuilt to accommodate larger trucks and expanding staff.